Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wake up Call

I woke up this morning at 6:45 to the joyful cry from my son in what has become the beginning of our morning ritual, "MOMMMMMMYYYY, THE SUN IS OUT! MOMMMYYY, WHERE ARE YOU? MOMMMY, GET UP!"

A few weeks ago he began sleeping in a toddler bed, but yet he still waits for me to "GET HIM UP!" everyday. I guess this is pobably a good thing. Last night, however, was one of those nights I fell asleep on the couch (actually the loveseat, hubby spent the night on the couch) and the battery on the monitor died somewhere in the middle of the night, so two year old Casey reprimanded me for my slower than usual response time by informing me when I crossed the threshold into his room that he had been looking out his curtains and the sun is up and he was calling me and I didn't come. Good Morning, my love.

Being two, Casey likes to follow a rigid routine which begins with "Juice, cereal, and a show" a mantra he barks until each demand is met. The show often becomes two (ok, sometimes four) as Mommy gets his baby sister her bottle, breakfast, diaper, and at some point my own breakfast and COFFEE. Usually several cups in a row.

Anyhow, back to this particular day. While I chatted on the phone midday with my very good friend (who also was a roommate in college) I was able to successfully do laundry, clean my kitchen, and tidy several other rooms. This was all because my wonderful husband took the two darlings to our local big box superstore to pick up the weekly essentials. Even though it was after 1pm, I had not yet showered, but I was explaining to my friend that somehow since I was dressed and not in pajamas it seemed like I was less lazy. Now, the fact that they were yesterday's clothes should have mattered, but it didn't. As my former college rommate, this particular friend witnessed me fall "asleep" in my clothes many a time so I knew she wouldn't judge.

 In a life that does not seem to have too many parallels to the life I led ten years ago, I somewhat enjoyed this tiny flashback and although I am still running ragged, I am glad I don't have a hangover or homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment